Monday, April 13, 2009

"The Eagle Has Landed"

I hesitated to write this until we had absolute word that William had arrived safely in Colombia. We received our first email from him today...from his mission. He's there! Before I go on...is it too much to ask that someone in the mission office email the families of arriving missionaries to let them know that they got there safe and sound??? Is that not what we teach our children to do from a very early age? "Now call me and let me know you made it safely." My kids have heard that their entire lives! Anyway, obviously not everyone sees things my way. So, back to our missionary...he is serving in the city of Cartagena, right on the northern coast. His companion is from Riverton, Utah, of all places. He said it's hot and everyone thinks it's funny that he is always sweaty! He's been stared at and called a beautiful Gringo (I would have to agree), by the same lady. Apparently she doesn't see many North Americans. He loves that everyone is happy. I told Bill that if I didn't know better, I'd think that he was still at college...he is so positive and upbeat. This is his life and he's excited! So far, he doesn't seem to be phased by the different culture. I have requested a longer, more detailed letter next week...we'll see if he listens. I just have so many questions. What comfort it gives me to know that he is safe and LOVING his mission! My cup runneth over!

2 comments:

  1. Glad he made it safely! What a relief that must have been to get that e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that he is on the ground. I was able to show Aunt Vera what a BLOG is and let her see that if she had the internet, she could keep up on this stuff.
    thx, Rich

    ReplyDelete