Friday, August 27, 2010

The Nest is Emptying :(

Another 20+ hour drive to Utah...this time in the truck. We didn't feel like it was completely healthy to leave Christine in the middle of "Egypt" with no way out. Ephraim is kind of remote...can't get a cab or a bus or a shuttle service there. So, we sent our freshman daughter to college with a car...good thing she is responsible. The drive was actually fun, we even stopped along the way to buy some moccasins and turquoise and a Navajo dream catcher in New Mexico (I've always wanted to do that :) We took our good friend and traveling buddy Ellis along again. He was headed to Provo and BYU.

Can I just say that leaving a daughter at college is much different than leaving a son. This empty nest thing is truly for the birds...nice pun, huh? I used to think it was going to be great when the kids started leaving...I don't feel that way anymore. I'd just like them all home now...right now. But that isn't ever going to be the case...the up side is, William and Christine are doing great things...THAT I am grateful for. I just need to get a job, or a hobby or start catching up on all of our scrapbooks...I miss my kids---a lot. Other than rides, food and clean clothes...Garrett and Grant are pretty much self-sufficient...so that leaves me with way too much time on my hands. Hopefully I can get busy doing something productive before I drive everyone, including myself crazy!...transition is a blast!

One of the two pizza joints in Ephraim...we ate here with William before he went into the MTC...we were walking down memory lane here :(

A cool old car sitting in someone's front yard...we are definitely NOT in Allen anymore:)

As seen in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Ephraim...the biggest dog ever!

We found William's picture on the wall at the Ephraim Institute of Religion of missionaries currently serving around the world...made us proud.

Christine lives about 5 minutes from this beautiful place...the Manti Temple.

It took no time at all to get Christine all set up in her room...she should be quite comfy there...she was a little surprised at the size and age (old) of her accomodations...she's been a little spoiled. Welcome to the real world Sweetheart :)

Christine has some darling roommates...they are all from Utah--big surprise!

Our good friend Chris Creek turned the big 5-0 while we were in town so we drove up to Salt Lake for a great party! It was a 60's theme, since he was born in 1960...we saw some old friends and had a blast! Happy Birthday Chris!

2 comments:

  1. looks the same as when I was there, just better chairs in the kitchen. No fat jacks pizza so sad. I cried a little seeing all that I loved being at
    snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. empty nesters? After the past couple of days I have had I wish I was a bit closer (not really, maybe I just need a break). Hope she has a great experience. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete